Custom Search

Thursday, August 28, 2008

7 Minute Sabudana Khichdi


Sabudane Ki Khichdi is my real favorite of all times.
I remember when I was younger , I always used to ask my mother to prepare Sabudane ke Khichdi for my breakfast on my birthdays and even today given a chance I would still ask for the same.
I would even love the days of the navratri fasts just to eat this mouth watering dish.
But I have found that a lot of people have some problem in getting the sabudana done just right.
Either their sabudna turns out chewy and hard or it is completely mashed up.
There are 2 methods of soaking sabudana , usually I soak the sabudana in just enough water overnight so that all of it is absorbed and the sabudana becomes nice and fluffy in the morning.
I use 1 measuring cup sabudana and 150 ml water which is like just 1/2 - 1 inch above the sabudana in the container.
The second method is to soak the sabudana in water which is around 1.5 - 2 times the quantity of the sabudana . Leave it soaked for half an hour and then drain the water completely and leave the sabudana for 2-3 hours or more till you find that sabudana is ready to be used and all water has been absorbed.
Adding roasted and ground groundnuts makes sure that the pearls of the sabudana do not stick to each other.
Having told the basics now I should say that with the invention of the mcirowave making sabudana is even more easier and faster.
There is no more the problem of stirring frequently or standing in front of the kadai/ gas to prevent the sabudana from sticking to the bottom of he pan.
Just add the sabudana to the microwave with potatoes and tempering and Voila ! Here is your sabudana ready to be eaten.
For Detailed recipe and instructions watch my Video on

No comments: